Thursday, 27 October 2005
30 Days, E4
Morgan Spurlock exposes the terrible iniquities in American society.
What to say if you disliked it
Morgan Spurlock spends an hour whinging while his fiancée shivers and the bus never comes.
What was good about it?
• Morgan and fiancée Alex made a brave effort to live for 30 days on the minimum wage, and did a fine job in showing how American's working poor face a desperate battle for survival while obese fatcats benefit from Bush's taxcuts.
• Morgan's rants about the failure to increase the the minimum wage for eight years and the crippling cost of healthcare – he had to pay $500 just to be seen in a hospital's emergency room and $40 for a bandage.
• The generosity of the folk at the church who provided essentials for the poor, allowing Morgan and Alex to have a table to eat from in the insect-infested hovel that served as their temporary home
What was bad about it?
• Morgan isn't a very charismatic figure so it was hard to engage in his plight. He came across as a bit of an idiot; Alex emerged as sensible and tolerant.
• The cinematography was far too beautiful. However nasty Columbus, Ohio may have been, the filming failed to convey the squalour which rather diluted the message.
• The terrible story of the man who earned more in his first job 25 years ago than he does now on minimum wage.
Watch: Vicky McClure and Morven Christie in trailer for 'The Replacement'
The BBC have released the trailer for upcoming drama The Replacement starring Vicky McClure and Morven Christie . This three-part psyc...
The Good Karma Hospital: Putting the Sun in Sunday Night
Before I sat down to write this review I was staring out of the office window. It's the start of the February and it's miserable. Th...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
TheCustardtv Podcast: Unforgotten, The Moorside, Legion and More!
Matt and Luke discuss Dan Stevens in Legion from FX. The mesmerising final installment of Unforgotten and Sheridan Smith in The Moorside...
This Week in TV: Food Glorious Food, Lightfields, Saturday Night Takeaway, Mary and Martha and Heading Out
Hello and welcome back quite a lot to get through this week so let's get cracking. Here's a new recipe for you - take eight lar...
The TVweek: Sunday 19th - Friday 24th February 2017
Sunday 7.00pm Take Me Out: Celebrity Special ITV - Paddy McGuinness plays cupid for three famous and single men in this celebrity edition o...
TheCustardTVPodcast: 24 Legacy and No Offence to name a few..
This week we discuss 24's spin off 24 Legacy , Acquitted from Walter Presents, Australian drama The Kettering Incident and the wond...
BBC ONE confirm cast for 'Trust Me'
The BBC have released new details of new drama Trust Me . Jodie Whittaker (B roadchurch, Adult Life Skills ) will star as Cath Hardacre...