Saturday, 19 January 2008
30 Days, E4
What to say if you liked it
Morgan Spurlock exposes the terrible iniquities in American society.
What to say if you disliked it
Morgan Spurlock spends an hour whinging while his fiancée shivers and the bus never comes.
What was good about it?
• Morgan and fiancée Alex made a brave effort to live for 30 days on the minimum wage, and did a fine job in showing how American's working poor face a desperate battle for survival while obese fatcats benefit from Bush's taxcuts.
• Morgan's rants about the failure to increase the the minimum wage for eight years and the crippling cost of healthcare – he had to pay $500 just to be seen in a hospital's emergency room and $40 for a bandage.
• The generosity of the folk at the church who provided essentials for the poor, allowing Morgan and Alex to have a table to eat from in the insect-infested hovel that served as their temporary home
What was bad about it?
• Morgan isn't a very charismatic figure so it was hard to engage in his plight. He came across as a bit of an idiot; Alex emerged as sensible and tolerant.
• The cinematography was far too beautiful. However nasty Columbus, Ohio may have been, the filming failed to convey the squalour which rather diluted the message.
• The terrible story of the man who earned more in his first job 25 years ago than he does now on minimum wage.
First Look at BBC2's 'Legacy'
The BBC have released the first look at BBC2's single drama Legacy. It's 1974, in the middle of the Cold War. The three day w...
Matt on the Box: This Week's TV Highlights: The Mill, New Tricks, Shoplife, The Dealership and Celebrity Masterchef
A little later than normal here's a look back at last's weeks highs and lows in the world of television. Last Sunday night I wa...
The Sex Education Show, Channel 4
Did we like it? Presenter Anna Richardson did her best to back her claim that "when it comes to sex, Britain is in meltdown", but...
Between The Sheets, ITV1
Trailers can be terribly misleading. The ones for Between The Sheets made it seem like a raunchier version of Saturday’s slic...
Educating Yorkshire Christmas return Confirmed.
Channel 4 have confirmed a festive special of Educating Yorkshire for Thursday 19th of December. Educating Yorkshire leads Channel 4 Ch...
Citizen Khan: Can't we do better than this?
It’s hard to believe but there was once a time when BBC1 ruled the roost when it came to sitcoms but over the past decade most of the ...
TheCustard chats to Josh Bolt of 'Last Tango in Halifax'
Tuesday sees the welcome return of the BBC's hit drama Last Tango in Halifax. The BAFTA award winning series starring Anne Reid and ...
The BBC announces new drama commissions
BBC Controller of Drama Ben Stephenson today announces 31 hours of new drama commissions highlighting BBC One’s commitment to Original...