Thursday, 27 October 2005
30 Days, E4
Morgan Spurlock exposes the terrible iniquities in American society.
What to say if you disliked it
Morgan Spurlock spends an hour whinging while his fiancée shivers and the bus never comes.
What was good about it?
• Morgan and fiancée Alex made a brave effort to live for 30 days on the minimum wage, and did a fine job in showing how American's working poor face a desperate battle for survival while obese fatcats benefit from Bush's taxcuts.
• Morgan's rants about the failure to increase the the minimum wage for eight years and the crippling cost of healthcare – he had to pay $500 just to be seen in a hospital's emergency room and $40 for a bandage.
• The generosity of the folk at the church who provided essentials for the poor, allowing Morgan and Alex to have a table to eat from in the insect-infested hovel that served as their temporary home
What was bad about it?
• Morgan isn't a very charismatic figure so it was hard to engage in his plight. He came across as a bit of an idiot; Alex emerged as sensible and tolerant.
• The cinematography was far too beautiful. However nasty Columbus, Ohio may have been, the filming failed to convey the squalour which rather diluted the message.
• The terrible story of the man who earned more in his first job 25 years ago than he does now on minimum wage.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
Saturday Essay: Derren Brown: The Guilt Trip: a step too far or an elaborate hoax?
Image Credit: Channel 4 Derren wields a croquet mallet in front of the 'murder' scene As predicted, Derren Brown's shows a...
ITV launches new Drama trailer
Today (Monday 14th January 2013) ITV1 became ITV. I know nobody likes change do they? With the rebrand came a new trailer showcasing the for...
TheCustard chats to Sally Wainwright for Happy Valley.
Tuesday sees the start of a fantastic new six-part drama on BBC ONE The series, entitled Happy Valley centres around policewoman Catheri...
Thecustard Chats to Sharon Rooney ahead of My Mad Fat Diary DVD release
Monday 25th February sees the DVD of E4's comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary . The series, based loosely on the real life diaries of Rae Ea...
Ben Miller on comedy start
Death in Paradise star Ben Miller has been modelling new suits for Marks & Spencer. In this interview he discusses meeting his ...
Clips from the second episode of Mr. Selfridge
Sunday sees the second episode of ITV1's period drama Mr. Selfridge. The 10-part series launched on Sunday 6th January, peaking at 8.1...
Simon Cowell spoofed in Postman Pat Movie
Simon Cowell is to be spoofed iconic kid's TV star Postman Pat arrives on the big screen in May. Postman Pat: The Movie sees ...