Thursday, 27 October 2005
30 Days, E4
Morgan Spurlock exposes the terrible iniquities in American society.
What to say if you disliked it
Morgan Spurlock spends an hour whinging while his fiancée shivers and the bus never comes.
What was good about it?
• Morgan and fiancée Alex made a brave effort to live for 30 days on the minimum wage, and did a fine job in showing how American's working poor face a desperate battle for survival while obese fatcats benefit from Bush's taxcuts.
• Morgan's rants about the failure to increase the the minimum wage for eight years and the crippling cost of healthcare – he had to pay $500 just to be seen in a hospital's emergency room and $40 for a bandage.
• The generosity of the folk at the church who provided essentials for the poor, allowing Morgan and Alex to have a table to eat from in the insect-infested hovel that served as their temporary home
What was bad about it?
• Morgan isn't a very charismatic figure so it was hard to engage in his plight. He came across as a bit of an idiot; Alex emerged as sensible and tolerant.
• The cinematography was far too beautiful. However nasty Columbus, Ohio may have been, the filming failed to convey the squalour which rather diluted the message.
• The terrible story of the man who earned more in his first job 25 years ago than he does now on minimum wage.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Educating Yorkshire: Everything you need to know
This brand new eight-part documentary series explores life at a Yorkshire school. Located at the heart of a diverse northern community, and ...
Our top shows of the 2000's: A is for...
So we're compiling the best shows of the 2000's. Initially I'd planned on a countdown (I'm a bit of a countdown nerd) but to...
TheCustard braves Dragons' Den
It's a surprisingly scorching day in May and I'm sweating. I could blame my uncontrollable leakage on the unseasonable temperatures,...
ITV launches new Drama trailer
Today (Monday 14th January 2013) ITV1 became ITV. I know nobody likes change do they? With the rebrand came a new trailer showcasing the for...
Clips from the second episode of Mr. Selfridge
Sunday sees the second episode of ITV1's period drama Mr. Selfridge. The 10-part series launched on Sunday 6th January, peaking at 8.1...
Why we should back the BBC and ignore Boris
This week Boris Johnson made one of those ill informed, sweeping statements that gets a telly lover like myself rather miffed. "...