Saturday, 19 January 2008
30 Days, E4
What to say if you liked it
Morgan Spurlock exposes the terrible iniquities in American society.
What to say if you disliked it
Morgan Spurlock spends an hour whinging while his fiancée shivers and the bus never comes.
What was good about it?
• Morgan and fiancée Alex made a brave effort to live for 30 days on the minimum wage, and did a fine job in showing how American's working poor face a desperate battle for survival while obese fatcats benefit from Bush's taxcuts.
• Morgan's rants about the failure to increase the the minimum wage for eight years and the crippling cost of healthcare – he had to pay $500 just to be seen in a hospital's emergency room and $40 for a bandage.
• The generosity of the folk at the church who provided essentials for the poor, allowing Morgan and Alex to have a table to eat from in the insect-infested hovel that served as their temporary home
What was bad about it?
• Morgan isn't a very charismatic figure so it was hard to engage in his plight. He came across as a bit of an idiot; Alex emerged as sensible and tolerant.
• The cinematography was far too beautiful. However nasty Columbus, Ohio may have been, the filming failed to convey the squalour which rather diluted the message.
• The terrible story of the man who earned more in his first job 25 years ago than he does now on minimum wage.
Thecustard Chats to Sharon Rooney ahead of My Mad Fat Diary DVD release
Monday 25th February sees the DVD of E4's comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary . The series, based loosely on the real life diaries of Rae Ea...
TheCustard chats to Reece Shearsmith of The Widower.
© ITV Monday 17th March sees the start of a brilliant new three-part drama based on the real life events of serial killer Malcolm Webste...
Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones and Downton Abbey stars nominated for Emmy Awards
Today the list of TV programmes nominated for Primetime Emmy Awards was announced. Among the nominees were several Brits most notably Be...
Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, BBC1
Friday 8 September 2006 Did we like it? The first show of the new series varied from the sublime to the ridiculous. Give Jonathan a decent...
First Look: John Simm in Prey.
ITV have released the first look at new drama Prey starring John Simm. Created and written by television newcomer Chris Lunt and dir...
David Tennant cast in US Broadchurch: My Thoughts
News broke yesterday that David Tennant has been cast in the US remake of hit ITV series Broadchurch. The first series of the UK versio...
Happy Valley: Watch the trailer of great new BBC1 drama
The BBC have released the first TV trailer for upcoming BBC1 drama series Happy Valley. A new six-part drama for BBC One, written by Sally W...
First Look: Peaky Blinders
The BBC have released the first trailer for new BBC2 drama Peaky Blinders The story begins in 1919 in the lawless slum neighbourhoods of...