Thursday, 27 October 2005
30 Days, E4
Morgan Spurlock exposes the terrible iniquities in American society.
What to say if you disliked it
Morgan Spurlock spends an hour whinging while his fiancée shivers and the bus never comes.
What was good about it?
• Morgan and fiancée Alex made a brave effort to live for 30 days on the minimum wage, and did a fine job in showing how American's working poor face a desperate battle for survival while obese fatcats benefit from Bush's taxcuts.
• Morgan's rants about the failure to increase the the minimum wage for eight years and the crippling cost of healthcare – he had to pay $500 just to be seen in a hospital's emergency room and $40 for a bandage.
• The generosity of the folk at the church who provided essentials for the poor, allowing Morgan and Alex to have a table to eat from in the insect-infested hovel that served as their temporary home
What was bad about it?
• Morgan isn't a very charismatic figure so it was hard to engage in his plight. He came across as a bit of an idiot; Alex emerged as sensible and tolerant.
• The cinematography was far too beautiful. However nasty Columbus, Ohio may have been, the filming failed to convey the squalour which rather diluted the message.
• The terrible story of the man who earned more in his first job 25 years ago than he does now on minimum wage.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
New Blood: A Different kind of BBC drama
Contributed by Kay Dekker BBC One have had a string of top quality drama of late, with the likes of The Night Manager and Happy Vall...
The TVweek: Saturday 14th - Friday 20th May 2016
Saturday 8.00pm The Eurovision Song Contest BBC1 - Graham Norton introduces and commentates on the 61st Eurovision Song Contest, broadcast...
The TVweek: Saturday 28th May - Friday 3rd June 2016
Saturday 9.00pm The Disappearance BBC4 - Double bill of a new French Thriller. Lea Morel celebrates her 17th birthday by attending the loc...
TheCustard chats to Line of Duty mastermind Jed Mercurio
Monday sees the release of Series 3 of Line of Duty on DVD. It's a drama that has literally gripped fans from beginning to end. Ahead o...
Matt on the Box: The Eurovision Song Contest, Love Nina, Going Forward, Louis Theroux: A Different Brain and Undercover
Welcome to another week of TV highlights and an instalment which offers up one of the most mixed bags that we've ever had. We kick ...
Broadchurch 3 begins filming
Filming commenced today on the award winning drama Broadchurch . The third and final series will continue shooting in Dorset and Somerset t...