Thursday, 5 July 2007
Fonejack (verb): to seize control of a telephone conversation by farce esp. to divert it from reason and logic. That was the definition in the title credits, and to be fair, that was exactly what happened. This year’s Trigger Happy TV, it was essentially a spoof call show, enlivened by clever use of ‘guerilla’ type graphics and a wide-ranging remit of calls. Shops, restaurants, directory enquiries and private citizens all became victims of the Fonejacker. It was funny enough to prompt a repeat viewing, but we can’t imagine it lasting more than a series.
• There was an over-reliance on a foreign gentlemen who mispronounced acronyms – but the reactions he got from Directory Enquiries when requesting the number of ‘Duhfs’ (aka DFS) and a tv repair shop when discussing his broken ‘Voosra’ (aka VCR) justified this fairly obvious starter.
• Terry Tibbs, a cross between Harold Steptoe and Swiss Tony, was the most well constructed and thought out character. His running rings round a guy who was trying to sell a Maserati was the highlight.
• The thumbless man trying to buy a voice-activated mobile phone from a Carphone Warehouse employee.
• The spoof estate agent which was using a voice-recognition system to enable people to specify the type of property and the area that wished to live in had us wincing in recognition as the deliberately misheard details sent the caller round and round in a spiral of frustration.
• The Ugandan bank official trying to elicit people’s bank details was a poor replica of the Nigerian 419 email scam that we’ve all been sent. And unsurprisingly, nobody bit.
Watch: Vicky McClure and Morven Christie in trailer for 'The Replacement'
The BBC have released the trailer for upcoming drama The Replacement starring Vicky McClure and Morven Christie . This three-part psyc...
The Good Karma Hospital: Putting the Sun in Sunday Night
Before I sat down to write this review I was staring out of the office window. It's the start of the February and it's miserable. Th...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
TheCustardtv Podcast: Unforgotten, The Moorside, Legion and More!
Matt and Luke discuss Dan Stevens in Legion from FX. The mesmerising final installment of Unforgotten and Sheridan Smith in The Moorside...
This Week in TV: Food Glorious Food, Lightfields, Saturday Night Takeaway, Mary and Martha and Heading Out
Hello and welcome back quite a lot to get through this week so let's get cracking. Here's a new recipe for you - take eight lar...
The TVweek: Sunday 19th - Friday 24th February 2017
Sunday 7.00pm Take Me Out: Celebrity Special ITV - Paddy McGuinness plays cupid for three famous and single men in this celebrity edition o...
TheCustardTVPodcast: 24 Legacy and No Offence to name a few..
This week we discuss 24's spin off 24 Legacy , Acquitted from Walter Presents, Australian drama The Kettering Incident and the wond...
BBC ONE confirm cast for 'Trust Me'
The BBC have released new details of new drama Trust Me . Jodie Whittaker (B roadchurch, Adult Life Skills ) will star as Cath Hardacre...