Saturday, 31 December 2005
Generation Fame, BBC1
So much effort has gone into finding the right vehicle for Graham Norton. The BBC's top brains have been on the case. SACK THEM ALL NOW. This couldn't have been worse if they'd tried. And the revered Generation Game brand-name has now been tarnished.
What was good about it?
• Harry Hill honking out TV theme tunes on car horns and Johnny Vegas revealing his pottery skills
• The skipping Belgians and the Rolf Harris-like artist
What was bad about it?
• Horrible title sequence.
• Horrible theme song.
• Horrible lighting.
* Horrible little set.
• Lousy opening monologue
• Picking a woman out of the audience to become the glamorous assistant was a good idea. Ruined by picking thick Janet.
• Davina McCall trying too hard – and winning.
• Rupert Grint being forced into this shambles
• James Fleet and Kellie Holmes being underwhelming
• Engelbert Humperdinck being forced to sing Quando, Quando, Quando while the "celebs' cavorted around him
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
Cold Feet:Oh it's good to have you back!
Contributed by Matt Donnelly It seems to be the in-thing at the moment for big shows from the last couple of decades to make a comeback. ...
BBC Landmark Sitcom Season: The Pilots
Contributed by Matt Donnelly In my last post I looked at three of the sitcom revivals that the BBC have produced but alongside these p...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
BBC Landmark Sitcom Season: The Revivals
Contributed by Matt Donnelly Last week whilst at Edinburgh I was lucky enough to attend a preview screening of Dick Clement and Ian L...
Landmark Comedy Season: Are You Being Served serves more of the same
Contributed by Deborah Shrewsbury Please forgive me, but I’m still reeling from the news that, according to the Radio Times poll, the v...
ITV's Paranoid: littered with irritating characters
The crime drama is a genre everyone is familiar with. There are good ones that keep you guessing and they are bad ones. The bad ones take th...
Our Girl: Michelle Keegan takes a commanding lead.
Contributed by Matt Donnelly It must be hard when a central cast member decides to leave a popular TV drama and even harder for those ...