Saturday, 31 December 2005
Generation Fame, BBC1
So much effort has gone into finding the right vehicle for Graham Norton. The BBC's top brains have been on the case. SACK THEM ALL NOW. This couldn't have been worse if they'd tried. And the revered Generation Game brand-name has now been tarnished.
What was good about it?
• Harry Hill honking out TV theme tunes on car horns and Johnny Vegas revealing his pottery skills
• The skipping Belgians and the Rolf Harris-like artist
What was bad about it?
• Horrible title sequence.
• Horrible theme song.
• Horrible lighting.
* Horrible little set.
• Lousy opening monologue
• Picking a woman out of the audience to become the glamorous assistant was a good idea. Ruined by picking thick Janet.
• Davina McCall trying too hard – and winning.
• Rupert Grint being forced into this shambles
• James Fleet and Kellie Holmes being underwhelming
• Engelbert Humperdinck being forced to sing Quando, Quando, Quando while the "celebs' cavorted around him
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
The People Next Door: Thought provoking and disturbing Docudrama
Last year Channel 4 kept trailing a new docudrama called Cyberbully. The ads looked of interest but I have to admit as a man just gettin...
TheCustard chats to Line of Duty mastermind Jed Mercurio
Monday sees the release of Series 3 of Line of Duty on DVD. It's a drama that has literally gripped fans from beginning to end. Ahead o...
We chat to Scott & Bailey writer Lee Warburton
Wednesday saw the welcome return of ITV's Scott & Bailey for a special three-part fifth series. As part of our screenwriters p...
Matt on the Box: Undercover, Marcella, The Durrells, The People Next Door and Drive
Another week has passed in TV land and that means its time for another look back at the biggest shows that have graced our screens in the la...
The TVweek: Saturday 30th April - Friday 6th May 2016
Saturday 7.00pm David Attenborough Wild City Sky1 - With the latest film-making technology, Sir David Attenborough uncovers the unseen natu...
Scott and Bailey: A welcome return
TV is saturated with crime dramas. It's a genre that we all know and love. We've got crime dramas from across the world, but none mi...