Saturday, 31 December 2005
Generation Fame, BBC1
So much effort has gone into finding the right vehicle for Graham Norton. The BBC's top brains have been on the case. SACK THEM ALL NOW. This couldn't have been worse if they'd tried. And the revered Generation Game brand-name has now been tarnished.
What was good about it?
• Harry Hill honking out TV theme tunes on car horns and Johnny Vegas revealing his pottery skills
• The skipping Belgians and the Rolf Harris-like artist
What was bad about it?
• Horrible title sequence.
• Horrible theme song.
• Horrible lighting.
* Horrible little set.
• Lousy opening monologue
• Picking a woman out of the audience to become the glamorous assistant was a good idea. Ruined by picking thick Janet.
• Davina McCall trying too hard – and winning.
• Rupert Grint being forced into this shambles
• James Fleet and Kellie Holmes being underwhelming
• Engelbert Humperdinck being forced to sing Quando, Quando, Quando while the "celebs' cavorted around him
Red Rock: Much more than a daytime soap
Contributed by Colin Mc Mahon The world of soap can be a fickle place. While the Big Three may still rule the ratings on their respective...
Comedy reboots: Never go back
Contributed by Deborah Shrewsbury So something worrying occurred last week. Images of the new Porridge remake were circulated around t...
Boy Meets Girl: A welcome return?
Contributed by Matt Donnelly It's great when a TV comedy can come out of nowhere and surprise you and that's exactly what Boy Mee...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
Fleabag: modern life is rubbish is BBC3's newest comedy.
Contributed by Colin Mc Mahon Greedy. Perverted. Selfish. Apathetic. Cynical. Depraved. Just some of the adjectives that the titular F...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Desert Island Dramas: Gary's picks
So, imagine you were marooned on a desert island. You've got basic provisions which naturally includes a television. Which ten dramas...
The Secret Agent: Exciting Sunday night drama
Contributed by Phil Wilkinson-Jones With everything that’s going on the world at the moment, it would be pretty brave to commission a ser...