Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Educating Yorkshire: Everything you need to know
This brand new eight-part documentary series explores life at a Yorkshire school. Located at the heart of a diverse northern community, and ...
Our top shows of the 2000's: A is for...
So we're compiling the best shows of the 2000's. Initially I'd planned on a countdown (I'm a bit of a countdown nerd) but to...
Scott & Bailey to return to ITV
ITV has commissioned a three-part special series of Scott & Bailey featuring a single crime story to be produced by award winning indepe...
TheCustard braves Dragons' Den
It's a surprisingly scorching day in May and I'm sweating. I could blame my uncontrollable leakage on the unseasonable temperatures,...
ITV launches new Drama trailer
Today (Monday 14th January 2013) ITV1 became ITV. I know nobody likes change do they? With the rebrand came a new trailer showcasing the for...
Why we should back the BBC and ignore Boris
This week Boris Johnson made one of those ill informed, sweeping statements that gets a telly lover like myself rather miffed. "...