Saturday, 12 January 2008
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
TheCustard chats Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman
New Year's Day sees the hugely welcome return of Sherlock back on BBC ONE after nearly two years away. The first episode will see Sher...
Matt on the Box: This Week's TV Highlights: The Mill, New Tricks, Shoplife, The Dealership and Celebrity Masterchef
A little later than normal here's a look back at last's weeks highs and lows in the world of television. Last Sunday night I wa...
Between The Sheets, ITV1
Trailers can be terribly misleading. The ones for Between The Sheets made it seem like a raunchier version of Saturday’s slic...
First Look at BBC2's 'Legacy'
The BBC have released the first look at BBC2's single drama Legacy. It's 1974, in the middle of the Cold War. The three day w...
The Sex Education Show, Channel 4
Did we like it? Presenter Anna Richardson did her best to back her claim that "when it comes to sex, Britain is in meltdown", but...
Educating Yorkshire Christmas return Confirmed.
Channel 4 have confirmed a festive special of Educating Yorkshire for Thursday 19th of December. Educating Yorkshire leads Channel 4 Ch...
TheCustard chats to Josh Bolt of 'Last Tango in Halifax'
Tuesday sees the welcome return of the BBC's hit drama Last Tango in Halifax. The BAFTA award winning series starring Anne Reid and ...
Ripper Street Axed: Twitter reacts.
Fans have taken to twitter tovoice their opinions on today's news that the BBC have decided not to give the series another go. Tw...