Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
ThecustardTV Podcast: Is Critical too bonkers to enjoy?
In the latest podcast we discuss Sky's glossy new medical drama Critical, find out why Gary is enjoying The Casual Vacancy and Mat...
Does The X Files return give fans what they want?
When The X-Files originally aired in 1993, it opened to generally positive reviews and reception. Still, it would have been difficult t...
Happy Valley is back but did it deliver?
I have a confession to make. I only started the first series of Happy Valley on Friday and I finished it last night (Monday). I’m ridiculou...
The TVweek: Sunday 30th January - 5th February 2016
Sunday 7.30pm The Jump Channel 4 - Return of the reality series which sees Over the new few weeks on , 12 celebrities - Dean Cain, Sarah H...
The TVweek: Sunday 7th - Friday 12th February 2016
Sunday 8.00pm Greece with Simon Reeve BBC2 - In the first episode of this two-part series, Simon Reeve travels from the islands of the Aege...
Top Gear: Meet the new team
Top Gear returns in a few months and the BBC have finally completed the lineup. Motorsport guru and Formula 1 commentator Eddie Jordan ...