Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
The TV week – what's new June 28-July 4
Lennie James in Fallout Saturday 4.15pm/9.30pm/midnight Glastonbury 2008 BBC2 – Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne, Mark Radcliffe and Phill ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
What Remains: How well do you know your neighbours?
I have a confession to make. I know I'm supposed to be a TV critic but I will confess to you here and now that for the last ten Sunda...
Bluestone 42: BBC Three's Bomb Disposal Sitcom is back with a Bang!
When BBC Three's move online was first announced a lot of the objections were due to the fact that the channel had spawned a plethora of...
Michael Jackson’s Last Days: What Really Happened, Channel 4
T his is the way: step inside; immerse yourself in the world of Jacques Peretti, where the moon is made of cheese because it looks a bit tha...
ITV launches new Drama trailer
Today (Monday 14th January 2013) ITV1 became ITV. I know nobody likes change do they? With the rebrand came a new trailer showcasing the for...