Saturday, 12 January 2008
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
Thecustard Chats to Sharon Rooney ahead of My Mad Fat Diary DVD release
Monday 25th February sees the DVD of E4's comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary . The series, based loosely on the real life diaries of Rae Ea...
TheCustard chats to Reece Shearsmith of The Widower.
© ITV Monday 17th March sees the start of a brilliant new three-part drama based on the real life events of serial killer Malcolm Webste...
Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, BBC1
Friday 8 September 2006 Did we like it? The first show of the new series varied from the sublime to the ridiculous. Give Jonathan a decent...
Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones and Downton Abbey stars nominated for Emmy Awards
Today the list of TV programmes nominated for Primetime Emmy Awards was announced. Among the nominees were several Brits most notably Be...
First Look: John Simm in Prey.
ITV have released the first look at new drama Prey starring John Simm. Created and written by television newcomer Chris Lunt and dir...
David Tennant cast in US Broadchurch: My Thoughts
News broke yesterday that David Tennant has been cast in the US remake of hit ITV series Broadchurch. The first series of the UK versio...
First Look: Peaky Blinders
The BBC have released the first trailer for new BBC2 drama Peaky Blinders The story begins in 1919 in the lawless slum neighbourhoods of...
Happy Valley: Watch the trailer of great new BBC1 drama
The BBC have released the first TV trailer for upcoming BBC1 drama series Happy Valley. A new six-part drama for BBC One, written by Sally W...