Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
Saturday Essay: Derren Brown: The Guilt Trip: a step too far or an elaborate hoax?
Image Credit: Channel 4 Derren wields a croquet mallet in front of the 'murder' scene As predicted, Derren Brown's shows a...
ITV launches new Drama trailer
Today (Monday 14th January 2013) ITV1 became ITV. I know nobody likes change do they? With the rebrand came a new trailer showcasing the for...
TheCustard chats to Sally Wainwright for Happy Valley.
Tuesday sees the start of a fantastic new six-part drama on BBC ONE The series, entitled Happy Valley centres around policewoman Catheri...
Ben Miller on comedy start
Death in Paradise star Ben Miller has been modelling new suits for Marks & Spencer. In this interview he discusses meeting his ...
Thecustard Chats to Sharon Rooney ahead of My Mad Fat Diary DVD release
Monday 25th February sees the DVD of E4's comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary . The series, based loosely on the real life diaries of Rae Ea...
Clips from the second episode of Mr. Selfridge
Sunday sees the second episode of ITV1's period drama Mr. Selfridge. The 10-part series launched on Sunday 6th January, peaking at 8.1...
Simon Cowell spoofed in Postman Pat Movie
Simon Cowell is to be spoofed iconic kid's TV star Postman Pat arrives on the big screen in May. Postman Pat: The Movie sees ...