Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
A raft of new content coming to BBC One
Head of BBC One Charlotte Moore has unveiled a raft of brand new drama at this year's Edinburgh TV festival. They include the retur...
Luke's Desert Island Dramas
So, imagine you were marooned on a desert island. You've got basic provisions which naturally includes a television. Which ten dramas ...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
ITV opens the doors of The Good Karma Hospital.
Filming starts this month of ITV’s new six part medical drama, The Good Karma Hospital , produced by Tiger Aspect Drama, with Amanda Red...
One of Us: Why the BBC's new drama fails to hit the high notes
Contributed by Matt Donnelly In 2014, brothers Jack and Harry Williams struck gold with eight-part drama series The Missing which grippe...
Cold Feet Returns: The Cast have their say.
It's been 13 years since we last saw the cast of Cold Feet together onscreen. That's quite a substantial amount of time in TV terms...
The TVweek: Saturday 20th - Friday 26th August 2016
Saturday 7.15pm Spotless ITV - Physical game show that is all about keeping clean and pristine to take home the cash. Set against a backdro...