Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here: Meet the Campmates
So it's that time of year again as we head to the Australian jungle as a gaggle of brave celebrities look to survive for three weeks ...
Is The Crown worth watching??
Contributed by Colin Mc Mahon The public's obsession with the private lives of the royals has been a long standing one, born l...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
The TVweek: Saturday 26th November - Friday 2nd December 2016
Saturday 9.00pm Modus BBC4 - Double bill of a new Swedish crime drama series. During a snowy Christmas season, psychologist and criminal pr...
TheCustardtv Podcast: Gary's list.
Our Gary has a list of shows he's never seen, ones he's never finished and ones he'd like to see. In this feature-length podcast...
The TVweek: Monday 4th - Friday 9th December 2016
Monday 8.30pm Lawful Killing: Mark Duggan BBC1 - Drama documentary about the police shooting of Mark Duggan in Tottenham in August 2011. ...
The TVweek: Saturday 19th - Friday 25th November 2016
Saturday 8.00pm Britain at Low Tide Channel 4 - In this new series, Tori Herridge and Alex Langlands explore Britain's coastal archae...