Sunday, 23 March 2003
My Dad’s The Prime Minister, BBC1
Sitcom based on life at 10 Downing Street with the Philips family.
What to say if you liked it
Fast-paced satire which shows funny side of running the country.
What to say if you didn’t like it.
Mildly amusing look at what it might be like in Downing Street at election time.
What was good about it?
• The PMs kids, played by Joe Prospero and Emma Sackville. We really loved her T-shirt with the legend ‘My other Barbie’s a crack whore’ and her catchphrase – "I'm doing my GCSEs. You can't expect me to be nice."
• The party political broadcast in which the PM was so desperate to "get down with the people" that he was seen dancing with a clone in a gay club
• The scene of horror that erupted in the PM's imagination whenever the spin doctor recommended he play "the family card"
• Mrs Philips (Carla Mendonca) teasing her husband about whether she was going to vote for him.
• Thelma Barlow (Mavis in Coronation Street) did a good turn, with a Brummie accent, as a pensioner trying to get to her hospital appointment which resulted in horrific press coverage (Oldladygate).
What was bad about it?
• Please stop using these bloody awful audience laughter tracks – was this one recorded at the funny farm?
• Some of the jokes were a bit contrived and it was halfway through the show by the time we got our first real laugh.
• Robert Bathurst looked uncomfortable and a bit flat for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see whether it picks up in future episodes.
Watch: Vicky McClure and Morven Christie in trailer for 'The Replacement'
The BBC have released the trailer for upcoming drama The Replacement starring Vicky McClure and Morven Christie . This three-part psyc...
The Good Karma Hospital: Putting the Sun in Sunday Night
Before I sat down to write this review I was staring out of the office window. It's the start of the February and it's miserable. Th...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
TheCustardtv Podcast: Unforgotten, The Moorside, Legion and More!
Matt and Luke discuss Dan Stevens in Legion from FX. The mesmerising final installment of Unforgotten and Sheridan Smith in The Moorside...
This Week in TV: Food Glorious Food, Lightfields, Saturday Night Takeaway, Mary and Martha and Heading Out
Hello and welcome back quite a lot to get through this week so let's get cracking. Here's a new recipe for you - take eight lar...
The TVweek: Sunday 19th - Friday 24th February 2017
Sunday 7.00pm Take Me Out: Celebrity Special ITV - Paddy McGuinness plays cupid for three famous and single men in this celebrity edition o...
Emily Watson shines in Apple Tree Yard.
From the get-go, Emily Watson’s Yvonne Carmichael is not your average and straightforward scientist, if there is even such a thing. The ...
BBC ONE confirm cast for 'Trust Me'
The BBC have released new details of new drama Trust Me . Jodie Whittaker (B roadchurch, Adult Life Skills ) will star as Cath Hardacre...