Sunday, 31 December 2006
Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe: Review of the Year, BBC4
• Charlie's claim that 2006 was "the year when we finally all gave up pretending to be independent adults and instead allowed people on telly to advise us on every aspect of our pathetic, pea-sized lives." He cited Trinny and Susannah Undressed as the main offender. "There was no problem that couldn't be solved care of any old cunt with a camera," he added, citing Ian Wright's Unfit Kids which featured an obese mother telling her obese son that he'll be dead by the time he's 25. "That's not just hysterical opinion," Charlie pointed out, "it's an unscientific non-fact."
• Charlie pointing out the hypocrisy of Jamie Oliver's school dinners campaign while he advertises calorific muck
• Grace Dent's Year In The Soaps in which she described Pauline Fowler's brain tumour as "everything horrible she's ever thought about Sonia in one big lump"; the relationship of EastEnders' Gary and Minty as "Bareback Mountain with Spanners"; and Corrie's Tracey and Charlie as "Rose and Fred West depicted by more aesthetic actors."
• Charlie's description of Five's live birth as "the first time TV had witnessed the live arrival of a beautiful baby boy who looked like Mel Smith being woken by a 4am phone call."
• The description of Alex Zane as a "nine-year-old Disney girl"
• The re-enactment of Five's Girls' Guide to 21st Century Sex using two fingers and a saveloy
• The description of Gillian McKeith's X Factor performance as "singing like a wolf being sick out of a car on its way to a tune-murdering factory. If you really are what you eat, she must have eaten an entire pack of howling dogs for breakfast."
• The description of the Big Brother contestants as "preening bell-ends, women so unthinkably bitchy they'd slag off a widow for wearing black to the husband's funeral and the adorable old lady from Harold & Maude."
• The description of I'm A Celebrity as "Cannibal Holocaust re-enacted by soap stars."
• The description of Torchwood. "It felt like a live action remake of Scooby Doo, like watching an episode of Chucklevision with fighting and cum shots."
• The description of Robin Hood as " a cross between an Arctic Monkeys promo and a sword and chainmail roleplay game"
• The description of the All Star Family Fortunes title sequence as "possibly the single worst cultural artifact mankind has yet to produce."
• The comment on Matt Willis's Bushtucker Trial: "Im sure he's not the first boyband member to eat out an arsehole but he's the first to do it on ITV1."
• The heartfelt tribute to sci-fi writer Nigel Kneale by Mark Gattis
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Win 1 of 4 copies of Peter Kay's Car Share on DVD!
You can win 1 of 4 Copies of Peter Kay's Car Share on DVD. Answer the question below to Enter!
Toast of London: Matt Berry is as funny as ever as Clem Fandango and the rest of the gang return
I think the mark of a popular sitcom is when at least one of its catchphrases enters the popular vernacular. So as the line 'I Can Hea...
Matt on the Box: London Spy, Unforgotten, Josh and Peep Show
Hey folks, welcome back to another review of some recent TV highlights as I cast my withering gaze over what the small screen as offered us ...
The launch of BBC Store
The BBC have launched a new way to buy and keep your favourite BBC shows BBC Store makes it simpler for audiences to buy, watch and k...
Sherlock and Luther Headline the BBC's Christmas and New Year Line-Up
The BBC have revealed that their Christmas line-up will be headlined by the final two episodes of Luther and the Victorian special of Sh...
BBC One announces cast for new police drama Cuffs
The cast has been announced for BBC One's new fast-paced contemporary cop show Cuffs ; which commenced filming this week. Former Hus...