Thursday, 9 November 2006
David Walliams: My Life With James Bond, ITV1
Celebrity-fronted documentaries should normally be approached with care – but this one was excellent.
What was good about it?
• David Walliams was a perfect choice as the host. He is a genuine Bond fan and his admiration and enthusiasm for the 007 franchise was very clear throughout the documentary.
• Jimmy Carr on the man with the golden gun’s golden gun – "Now if I was going to be murdered by a mental bloke with three nipples, that is how I would want to go!"
• David raised an interesting issue: "What happens to Bond girls the next morning? Does he make them breakfast? Does he call them a taxi? Or does he say: ‘I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I’m gay?’’
• We are especially thankful to the producers of the show for including clips from the new film of the stunning new Bond girl Eva Green. Ms. Green was once described by a director that she had previously worked with as ‘so beautiful it hurts’ – no prizes for guessing what ‘it’ is then…
What was bad about it?
• The walking fashion disaster that is Jonathon Ross being introduced as a "fashion icon." We can only hope that they were being sarcastic!
• Out of all the former Bond girls that they could have chosen to interview and asked to define the term ‘Bond girl’ the picked Maryam O’Abo. Now she is from the Dalton years-which, let’s face it, is nothing to be proud of.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Win 1 of 4 copies of Peter Kay's Car Share on DVD!
You can win 1 of 4 Copies of Peter Kay's Car Share on DVD. Answer the question below to Enter!
Toast of London: Matt Berry is as funny as ever as Clem Fandango and the rest of the gang return
I think the mark of a popular sitcom is when at least one of its catchphrases enters the popular vernacular. So as the line 'I Can Hea...
BBC One announces cast for new police drama Cuffs
The cast has been announced for BBC One's new fast-paced contemporary cop show Cuffs ; which commenced filming this week. Former Hus...
The launch of BBC Store
The BBC have launched a new way to buy and keep your favourite BBC shows BBC Store makes it simpler for audiences to buy, watch and k...
Matt on the Box: London Spy, Unforgotten, Josh and Peep Show
Hey folks, welcome back to another review of some recent TV highlights as I cast my withering gaze over what the small screen as offered us ...
The TV week – what's new June 28-July 4
Lennie James in Fallout Saturday 4.15pm/9.30pm/midnight Glastonbury 2008 BBC2 – Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne, Mark Radcliffe and Phill ...