Saturday, 12 January 2008
The opener to this comedy starring Sharon Horgan was too dark to be enjoyable: there was so much pain. But there were enough funny lines to make it worth sticking with, especially as Horgan's Donna has dumped her dull fiancé and good times are ahead in Penge. Maybe.
What was good about it?
• It was brave to open up with such miserable black comedy, as Donna realised it was not a brilliant idea to marry the dull Karl (Cavan Clerkin), who we first encountered being masturbated by a bored Donna (who didn't realise when he'd finished) and cleaning himself up with a leaf from the cheeseplant.
• Donna's wonderful hen-night. Crazy friends Karen and Louise had suggested a spit roast with Jamal and Kevin, but Donna went ahead with awful matron-of-honour/baby bore Tanya's night at the bingo.
• When timid pal Karen (Tanya Franks) tells Donna that Karl is dependable, rough old Louise (Rebekah Staton) interjects: "Terry Wogan's dependable but you wouldn't want him blowing his muck inside you every night."
• The pre-wedding meal at Jumpin' Joes, somewhat wrecked by the announcement that the wedding was off. Mouthy mother-in-law Margaret, armed with bread rolls, pursues a fleeing Donna outside. "My son has more dignity than..." she roars, just as Karl comes crawling out on his knees. One of the many marvellous cringeworthy moments in the show.
• Donna's decision to move in with Karen and Louise in their "spare room... aka the shit room."
What was bad about it?
• The grim picture of relationships and friendships.
• Generally, Pulling was inventive and fresh but there was still a slight reliance on Victoria Woodyish lines such as "There's a salad bar – with croutons."
Matt on the Box: This Week's TV Highlights: The Mill, New Tricks, Shoplife, The Dealership and Celebrity Masterchef
A little later than normal here's a look back at last's weeks highs and lows in the world of television. Last Sunday night I wa...
First Look at BBC2's 'Legacy'
The BBC have released the first look at BBC2's single drama Legacy. It's 1974, in the middle of the Cold War. The three day w...
The Sex Education Show, Channel 4
Did we like it? Presenter Anna Richardson did her best to back her claim that "when it comes to sex, Britain is in meltdown", but...
Between The Sheets, ITV1
Trailers can be terribly misleading. The ones for Between The Sheets made it seem like a raunchier version of Saturday’s slic...
Educating Yorkshire Christmas return Confirmed.
Channel 4 have confirmed a festive special of Educating Yorkshire for Thursday 19th of December. Educating Yorkshire leads Channel 4 Ch...
TheCustard chats Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman
New Year's Day sees the hugely welcome return of Sherlock back on BBC ONE after nearly two years away. The first episode will see Sher...
TheCustard chats to Josh Bolt of 'Last Tango in Halifax'
Tuesday sees the welcome return of the BBC's hit drama Last Tango in Halifax. The BAFTA award winning series starring Anne Reid and ...
Citizen Khan: Can't we do better than this?
It’s hard to believe but there was once a time when BBC1 ruled the roost when it came to sitcoms but over the past decade most of the ...