Friday, 15 December 2006
It Started With Swap Shop, BBC2
A good idea ruined by an whooping studio audience getting far too excited about Space Dust and Posh Paws' roar and laughing far too readily at Noel Edmonds' attempts at humour.
What was good about it?
• The juxtaposition of a boring boy who collects bookmarks with Adam Ant talking to fans, a boy doing the Rubik's Cube in 37 seconds to Trev and Simon's legendary laundrette sketches (we hated all that Swing Your Pants nonsense, though) to a drunk Captain Sensible
• The nailing of evil Timothy who failed to send in a Snoopy rubber he'd promised to two girls
• Michael Crawford shiowing genuine emotion when he saw the clip of two kids with Down's syndrome dancing to a Phantom of the Opera song.
What was bad about it?
The original show was revolutionary and fun; now we hate Noel Edmonds and look back on his reign as king of Saturday morning TV with distaste.
• Edmonds' silly giggle when he thinks he's saying something funny (he did have one goodish line, introducing cook Smith with "Delia Or No Deila")
• John Craven's false teeth causing his voice to hiss
• Keith Chegwin. Too full of himself (and booze) then; still too full of himself now.
• Dame Edna Everage phoned in – and Noel managed to make the encounter unfunny! Genius.
• That bloody perspex globe with the letters in. One of the more stupid gimmicks.
• Margaret Thatcher
• Chris Moyles
• Andi Peters and Emma Forbes sobbing. Yuck!
• The girl who got to meet Take That has, it seems, spent the intervening years consuming pies, so it didn't do her any favours, did it?
A raft of new content coming to BBC One
Head of BBC One Charlotte Moore has unveiled a raft of brand new drama at this year's Edinburgh TV festival. They include the retur...
Luke's Desert Island Dramas
So, imagine you were marooned on a desert island. You've got basic provisions which naturally includes a television. Which ten dramas ...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
One of Us: Why the BBC's new drama fails to hit the high notes
Contributed by Matt Donnelly In 2014, brothers Jack and Harry Williams struck gold with eight-part drama series The Missing which grippe...
ITV opens the doors of The Good Karma Hospital.
Filming starts this month of ITV’s new six part medical drama, The Good Karma Hospital , produced by Tiger Aspect Drama, with Amanda Red...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Cold Feet Returns: The Cast have their say.
It's been 13 years since we last saw the cast of Cold Feet together onscreen. That's quite a substantial amount of time in TV terms...
The TVweek: Saturday 20th - Friday 26th August 2016
Saturday 7.15pm Spotless ITV - Physical game show that is all about keeping clean and pristine to take home the cash. Set against a backdro...