Saturday, 26 January 2008
It Started With Swap Shop, BBC2
A good idea ruined by an whooping studio audience getting far too excited about Space Dust and Posh Paws' roar and laughing far too readily at Noel Edmonds' attempts at humour.
What was good about it?
• The juxtaposition of a boring boy who collects bookmarks with Adam Ant talking to fans, a boy doing the Rubik's Cube in 37 seconds to Trev and Simon's legendary laundrette sketches (we hated all that Swing Your Pants nonsense, though) to a drunk Captain Sensible
• The nailing of evil Timothy who failed to send in a Snoopy rubber he'd promised to two girls
• Michael Crawford shiowing genuine emotion when he saw the clip of two kids with Down's syndrome dancing to a Phantom of the Opera song.
What was bad about it?
The original show was revolutionary and fun; now we hate Noel Edmonds and look back on his reign as king of Saturday morning TV with distaste.
• Edmonds' silly giggle when he thinks he's saying something funny (he did have one goodish line, introducing cook Smith with "Delia Or No Deila")
• John Craven's false teeth causing his voice to hiss
• Keith Chegwin. Too full of himself (and booze) then; still too full of himself now.
• Dame Edna Everage phoned in – and Noel managed to make the encounter unfunny! Genius.
• That bloody perspex globe with the letters in. One of the more stupid gimmicks.
• Margaret Thatcher
• Chris Moyles
• Andi Peters and Emma Forbes sobbing. Yuck!
• The girl who got to meet Take That has, it seems, spent the intervening years consuming pies, so it didn't do her any favours, did it?
TheCustard chats Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman
New Year's Day sees the hugely welcome return of Sherlock back on BBC ONE after nearly two years away. The first episode will see Sher...
Matt on the Box: This Week's TV Highlights: The Mill, New Tricks, Shoplife, The Dealership and Celebrity Masterchef
A little later than normal here's a look back at last's weeks highs and lows in the world of television. Last Sunday night I wa...
First Look at BBC2's 'Legacy'
The BBC have released the first look at BBC2's single drama Legacy. It's 1974, in the middle of the Cold War. The three day w...
Between The Sheets, ITV1
Trailers can be terribly misleading. The ones for Between The Sheets made it seem like a raunchier version of Saturday’s slic...
The Sex Education Show, Channel 4
Did we like it? Presenter Anna Richardson did her best to back her claim that "when it comes to sex, Britain is in meltdown", but...
Educating Yorkshire Christmas return Confirmed.
Channel 4 have confirmed a festive special of Educating Yorkshire for Thursday 19th of December. Educating Yorkshire leads Channel 4 Ch...
TheCustard chats to Josh Bolt of 'Last Tango in Halifax'
Tuesday sees the welcome return of the BBC's hit drama Last Tango in Halifax. The BAFTA award winning series starring Anne Reid and ...
BBC One unveil Christmas highlights
If you're a TV nerd (like us at thecustard) you can't help but feel a bit giddy when you get a first glance at the highlights at Chr...