Saturday, 26 January 2008
It Started With Swap Shop, BBC2
A good idea ruined by an whooping studio audience getting far too excited about Space Dust and Posh Paws' roar and laughing far too readily at Noel Edmonds' attempts at humour.
What was good about it?
• The juxtaposition of a boring boy who collects bookmarks with Adam Ant talking to fans, a boy doing the Rubik's Cube in 37 seconds to Trev and Simon's legendary laundrette sketches (we hated all that Swing Your Pants nonsense, though) to a drunk Captain Sensible
• The nailing of evil Timothy who failed to send in a Snoopy rubber he'd promised to two girls
• Michael Crawford shiowing genuine emotion when he saw the clip of two kids with Down's syndrome dancing to a Phantom of the Opera song.
What was bad about it?
The original show was revolutionary and fun; now we hate Noel Edmonds and look back on his reign as king of Saturday morning TV with distaste.
• Edmonds' silly giggle when he thinks he's saying something funny (he did have one goodish line, introducing cook Smith with "Delia Or No Deila")
• John Craven's false teeth causing his voice to hiss
• Keith Chegwin. Too full of himself (and booze) then; still too full of himself now.
• Dame Edna Everage phoned in – and Noel managed to make the encounter unfunny! Genius.
• That bloody perspex globe with the letters in. One of the more stupid gimmicks.
• Margaret Thatcher
• Chris Moyles
• Andi Peters and Emma Forbes sobbing. Yuck!
• The girl who got to meet Take That has, it seems, spent the intervening years consuming pies, so it didn't do her any favours, did it?
Thecustard Chats to Sharon Rooney ahead of My Mad Fat Diary DVD release
Monday 25th February sees the DVD of E4's comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary . The series, based loosely on the real life diaries of Rae Ea...
TheCustard chats to Reece Shearsmith of The Widower.
© ITV Monday 17th March sees the start of a brilliant new three-part drama based on the real life events of serial killer Malcolm Webste...
Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones and Downton Abbey stars nominated for Emmy Awards
Today the list of TV programmes nominated for Primetime Emmy Awards was announced. Among the nominees were several Brits most notably Be...
Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, BBC1
Friday 8 September 2006 Did we like it? The first show of the new series varied from the sublime to the ridiculous. Give Jonathan a decent...
First Look: John Simm in Prey.
ITV have released the first look at new drama Prey starring John Simm. Created and written by television newcomer Chris Lunt and dir...
Happy Valley: Watch the trailer of great new BBC1 drama
The BBC have released the first TV trailer for upcoming BBC1 drama series Happy Valley. A new six-part drama for BBC One, written by Sally W...
David Tennant cast in US Broadchurch: My Thoughts
News broke yesterday that David Tennant has been cast in the US remake of hit ITV series Broadchurch. The first series of the UK versio...
First Look: Peaky Blinders
The BBC have released the first trailer for new BBC2 drama Peaky Blinders The story begins in 1919 in the lawless slum neighbourhoods of...