Friday, 15 December 2006
It Started With Swap Shop, BBC2
A good idea ruined by an whooping studio audience getting far too excited about Space Dust and Posh Paws' roar and laughing far too readily at Noel Edmonds' attempts at humour.
What was good about it?
• The juxtaposition of a boring boy who collects bookmarks with Adam Ant talking to fans, a boy doing the Rubik's Cube in 37 seconds to Trev and Simon's legendary laundrette sketches (we hated all that Swing Your Pants nonsense, though) to a drunk Captain Sensible
• The nailing of evil Timothy who failed to send in a Snoopy rubber he'd promised to two girls
• Michael Crawford shiowing genuine emotion when he saw the clip of two kids with Down's syndrome dancing to a Phantom of the Opera song.
What was bad about it?
The original show was revolutionary and fun; now we hate Noel Edmonds and look back on his reign as king of Saturday morning TV with distaste.
• Edmonds' silly giggle when he thinks he's saying something funny (he did have one goodish line, introducing cook Smith with "Delia Or No Deila")
• John Craven's false teeth causing his voice to hiss
• Keith Chegwin. Too full of himself (and booze) then; still too full of himself now.
• Dame Edna Everage phoned in – and Noel managed to make the encounter unfunny! Genius.
• That bloody perspex globe with the letters in. One of the more stupid gimmicks.
• Margaret Thatcher
• Chris Moyles
• Andi Peters and Emma Forbes sobbing. Yuck!
• The girl who got to meet Take That has, it seems, spent the intervening years consuming pies, so it didn't do her any favours, did it?
Watch: Vicky McClure and Morven Christie in trailer for 'The Replacement'
The BBC have released the trailer for upcoming drama The Replacement starring Vicky McClure and Morven Christie . This three-part psyc...
The Good Karma Hospital: Putting the Sun in Sunday Night
Before I sat down to write this review I was staring out of the office window. It's the start of the February and it's miserable. Th...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
TheCustardtv Podcast: Unforgotten, The Moorside, Legion and More!
Matt and Luke discuss Dan Stevens in Legion from FX. The mesmerising final installment of Unforgotten and Sheridan Smith in The Moorside...
This Week in TV: Food Glorious Food, Lightfields, Saturday Night Takeaway, Mary and Martha and Heading Out
Hello and welcome back quite a lot to get through this week so let's get cracking. Here's a new recipe for you - take eight lar...
The TVweek: Sunday 19th - Friday 24th February 2017
Sunday 7.00pm Take Me Out: Celebrity Special ITV - Paddy McGuinness plays cupid for three famous and single men in this celebrity edition o...
Emily Watson shines in Apple Tree Yard.
From the get-go, Emily Watson’s Yvonne Carmichael is not your average and straightforward scientist, if there is even such a thing. The ...
BBC ONE confirm cast for 'Trust Me'
The BBC have released new details of new drama Trust Me . Jodie Whittaker (B roadchurch, Adult Life Skills ) will star as Cath Hardacre...