Saturday, 12 January 2008
The Royle Family, BBC1
We loved it. We got the usual mix of jokes about vol au vents, turkey twizzlers and chips, and the remote control plus plenty of tear-jerking moments, hair-flicking, laminating, a stairlift and an orthodox Jew being introduced to the delights of the Snakebite.
What was good about it?
• The poignant moments even outshone the comedy. We loved it when Jim fooled around with Nana ("the queen of bloody Sheba) and her walking frame; and when Barbara sobbed as she curled Nana's hair; and when Nana lived long enough to cradle baby Norma Orchard Tallulah Porsche Royle.
• The use of music: a splash of Johnny Cash (Jim's rendition of I Walk The Line as he used Nana's stairlift and Nana's shrieked version of Ring Of Fire), Que Sera Sera, I Wanna Be Like You during the laminating dance sequence, and Scarlet Ribbons.
• Jim's TV criticism: On Deal Or No Deal – "He's like a bloody bad smell that Noel Edmonds. I wish someone would put him in one of those bloody boxes and bury it.” On Graham Norton – "I didn't mind the days of novelty gays like Larry Grayson, now it’s a bloody novelty if you see any straights on television”.
• Denise getting Barbara to babysit Little David for the weekend. "Dave needs to spend some quality time on his own in The Feathers and I've got loads of catching up to do – Trisha and Jeremy Kyle."
• Liz Smith's swansong performance as Nana, occupying a bed where the dining table used to be, using a magnifying glass to recognise her family and cackling away merrily as she told interesting, detailed stories about dead friend Elsie's daughter
• Cheryl's bid to find love through the lonely hearts ads ("Likes going out for meals or staying in for meals." "Skin colour not essential") which brought her ginger Derek, biker Slash and orthodox Jew Solomon before, in one of the show's sweetest moments, she realised that Twiggy (Eddie Yates) could be the man she needs.
• Cheryl's pragmatism when she forgot the nuts part of her diet. She had a Topic and two Snickers instead.
• Dave's ponderous, hesitant reading of a sizzling romance to Nana (which gave Jim "a little stiffie")
• Barbara's aspirations: "All I've ever dreamed of is being laminated throughout" and "I wouldn't mind trying a la carte one night. I'm sick of chops."
• Jim – "Our Denise got up off her arse to make the buffet but don't spread it around or no-one'll eat it – except Cheryl."
What was bad about it?
• There wasn't enough Antony.
• Jim using hard-working Antony as a source of easy money.
• Jim's view of the David Furnish/Elton John relationship: "I bet his candle's given Elton wind a few bloody times."
• The colostomy bag joke (Cheryl emptying it into the washing up) was a bit too obvious
Thecustard Chats to Sharon Rooney ahead of My Mad Fat Diary DVD release
Monday 25th February sees the DVD of E4's comedy drama My Mad Fat Diary . The series, based loosely on the real life diaries of Rae Ea...
Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones and Downton Abbey stars nominated for Emmy Awards
Today the list of TV programmes nominated for Primetime Emmy Awards was announced. Among the nominees were several Brits most notably Be...
TheCustard chats to Reece Shearsmith of The Widower.
© ITV Monday 17th March sees the start of a brilliant new three-part drama based on the real life events of serial killer Malcolm Webste...
Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, BBC1
Friday 8 September 2006 Did we like it? The first show of the new series varied from the sublime to the ridiculous. Give Jonathan a decent...
First Look: John Simm in Prey.
ITV have released the first look at new drama Prey starring John Simm. Created and written by television newcomer Chris Lunt and dir...
Happy Valley: Watch the trailer of great new BBC1 drama
The BBC have released the first TV trailer for upcoming BBC1 drama series Happy Valley. A new six-part drama for BBC One, written by Sally W...
David Tennant cast in US Broadchurch: My Thoughts
News broke yesterday that David Tennant has been cast in the US remake of hit ITV series Broadchurch. The first series of the UK versio...
First Look: Peaky Blinders
The BBC have released the first trailer for new BBC2 drama Peaky Blinders The story begins in 1919 in the lawless slum neighbourhoods of...