Sunday, 29 October 2006
The Royle Family: The Queen of Sheba, BBC1
We loved it. We got the usual mix of jokes about vol au vents, turkey twizzlers and chips, and the remote control plus plenty of tear-jerking moments, hair-flicking, laminating, a stairlift and an orthodox Jew being introduced to the delights of the Snakebite.
What was good about it?
• The poignant moments even outshone the comedy. We loved it when Jim fooled around with Nana ("the queen of bloody Sheba) and her walking frame; and when Barbara sobbed as she curled Nana's hair; and when Nana lived long enough to cradle baby Norma Orchard Tallulah Porsche Royle.
• The use of music: a splash of Johnny Cash (Jim's rendition of I Walk The Line as he used Nana's stairlift and Nana's shrieked version of Ring Of Fire), Que Sera Sera, I Wanna Be Like You during the laminating dance sequence, and Scarlet Ribbons.
• Jim's TV criticism: On Deal Or No Deal – "He's like a bloody bad smell that Noel Edmonds. I wish someone would put him in one of those bloody boxes and bury it.” On Graham Norton – "I didn't mind the days of novelty gays like Larry Grayson, now it’s a bloody novelty if you see any straights on television”.
• Denise getting Barbara to babysit Little David for the weekend. "Dave needs to spend some quality time on his own in The Feathers and I've got loads of catching up to do – Trisha and Jeremy Kyle."
• Liz Smith's swansong performance as Nana, occupying a bed where the dining table used to be, using a magnifying glass to recognise her family and cackling away merrily as she told interesting, detailed stories about dead friend Elsie's daughter
• Cheryl's bid to find love through the lonely hearts ads ("Likes going out for meals or staying in for meals." "Skin colour not essential") which brought her ginger Derek, biker Slash and orthodox Jew Solomon before, in one of the show's sweetest moments, she realised that Twiggy (Eddie Yates) could be the man she needs.
• Cheryl's pragmatism when she forgot the nuts part of her diet. She had a Topic and two Snickers instead.
• Dave's ponderous, hesitant reading of a sizzling romance to Nana (which gave Jim "a little stiffie")
• Barbara's aspirations: "All I've ever dreamed of is being laminated throughout" and "I wouldn't mind trying a la carte one night. I'm sick of chops."
• Jim – "Our Denise got up off her arse to make the buffet but don't spread it around or no-one'll eat it – except Cheryl."
What was bad about it?
• There wasn't enough Antony.
• Jim using hard-working Antony as a source of easy money.
• Jim's view of the David Furnish/Elton John relationship: "I bet his candle's given Elton wind a few bloody times."
• The colostomy bag joke (Cheryl emptying it into the washing up) was a bit too obvious
A raft of new content coming to BBC One
Head of BBC One Charlotte Moore has unveiled a raft of brand new drama at this year's Edinburgh TV festival. They include the retur...
Luke's Desert Island Dramas
So, imagine you were marooned on a desert island. You've got basic provisions which naturally includes a television. Which ten dramas ...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
One of Us: Why the BBC's new drama fails to hit the high notes
Contributed by Matt Donnelly In 2014, brothers Jack and Harry Williams struck gold with eight-part drama series The Missing which grippe...
ITV opens the doors of The Good Karma Hospital.
Filming starts this month of ITV’s new six part medical drama, The Good Karma Hospital , produced by Tiger Aspect Drama, with Amanda Red...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Cold Feet Returns: The Cast have their say.
It's been 13 years since we last saw the cast of Cold Feet together onscreen. That's quite a substantial amount of time in TV terms...
The TVweek: Saturday 20th - Friday 26th August 2016
Saturday 7.15pm Spotless ITV - Physical game show that is all about keeping clean and pristine to take home the cash. Set against a backdro...