Sunday, 29 October 2006
The Royle Family: The Queen of Sheba, BBC1
We loved it. We got the usual mix of jokes about vol au vents, turkey twizzlers and chips, and the remote control plus plenty of tear-jerking moments, hair-flicking, laminating, a stairlift and an orthodox Jew being introduced to the delights of the Snakebite.
What was good about it?
• The poignant moments even outshone the comedy. We loved it when Jim fooled around with Nana ("the queen of bloody Sheba) and her walking frame; and when Barbara sobbed as she curled Nana's hair; and when Nana lived long enough to cradle baby Norma Orchard Tallulah Porsche Royle.
• The use of music: a splash of Johnny Cash (Jim's rendition of I Walk The Line as he used Nana's stairlift and Nana's shrieked version of Ring Of Fire), Que Sera Sera, I Wanna Be Like You during the laminating dance sequence, and Scarlet Ribbons.
• Jim's TV criticism: On Deal Or No Deal – "He's like a bloody bad smell that Noel Edmonds. I wish someone would put him in one of those bloody boxes and bury it.” On Graham Norton – "I didn't mind the days of novelty gays like Larry Grayson, now it’s a bloody novelty if you see any straights on television”.
• Denise getting Barbara to babysit Little David for the weekend. "Dave needs to spend some quality time on his own in The Feathers and I've got loads of catching up to do – Trisha and Jeremy Kyle."
• Liz Smith's swansong performance as Nana, occupying a bed where the dining table used to be, using a magnifying glass to recognise her family and cackling away merrily as she told interesting, detailed stories about dead friend Elsie's daughter
• Cheryl's bid to find love through the lonely hearts ads ("Likes going out for meals or staying in for meals." "Skin colour not essential") which brought her ginger Derek, biker Slash and orthodox Jew Solomon before, in one of the show's sweetest moments, she realised that Twiggy (Eddie Yates) could be the man she needs.
• Cheryl's pragmatism when she forgot the nuts part of her diet. She had a Topic and two Snickers instead.
• Dave's ponderous, hesitant reading of a sizzling romance to Nana (which gave Jim "a little stiffie")
• Barbara's aspirations: "All I've ever dreamed of is being laminated throughout" and "I wouldn't mind trying a la carte one night. I'm sick of chops."
• Jim – "Our Denise got up off her arse to make the buffet but don't spread it around or no-one'll eat it – except Cheryl."
What was bad about it?
• There wasn't enough Antony.
• Jim using hard-working Antony as a source of easy money.
• Jim's view of the David Furnish/Elton John relationship: "I bet his candle's given Elton wind a few bloody times."
• The colostomy bag joke (Cheryl emptying it into the washing up) was a bit too obvious
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
New Blood: A Different kind of BBC drama
Contributed by Kay Dekker BBC One have had a string of top quality drama of late, with the likes of The Night Manager and Happy Vall...
The TVweek: Saturday 14th - Friday 20th May 2016
Saturday 8.00pm The Eurovision Song Contest BBC1 - Graham Norton introduces and commentates on the 61st Eurovision Song Contest, broadcast...
The TVweek: Saturday 28th May - Friday 3rd June 2016
Saturday 9.00pm The Disappearance BBC4 - Double bill of a new French Thriller. Lea Morel celebrates her 17th birthday by attending the loc...
Matt on the Box: The Eurovision Song Contest, Love Nina, Going Forward, Louis Theroux: A Different Brain and Undercover
Welcome to another week of TV highlights and an instalment which offers up one of the most mixed bags that we've ever had. We kick ...
TheCustard chats to Line of Duty mastermind Jed Mercurio
Monday sees the release of Series 3 of Line of Duty on DVD. It's a drama that has literally gripped fans from beginning to end. Ahead o...
Broadchurch 3 begins filming
Filming commenced today on the award winning drama Broadchurch . The third and final series will continue shooting in Dorset and Somerset t...