Wednesday, 19 November 2008
Jonathan Pryce and Mark Gatiss in a new sitcom on BBC3? We sat down in eager anticipation, and 30 minutes later, got up feeling intensely disappointed and frustrated. A high concept plot about a failed experiment to create a super-soldier, three or four good lines and an intrusive laughter track do not add up to a decent new sitcom. This first production from Ash Atalla’s (The Office) new production company was a real disappointment – and Pryce looked embarrassed to be in it.
What was good about it?
• Mark Gatiss as Colonel Black commandeered the vast majority of decent lines - we loved him asking Victor questions then talking over his answers, whilst observing, “You talk too slowly Victor, always have.”
• The opening scene, where Doctor Victor Blenkinsop (Pryce) and his assistant Ian (Oliver Maltman), dressed as shop workers, stride through a Tesco Metro to their underground lab whilst avoiding customers, was probably the funniest scene. Especially the slapstick of the old lady’s zimmer frame flying through the air after Victor has pulled over bottles of lemonade into her path.
What was bad about it?
• Stuart McLoughlin as the inept, wimpy klutz of a clone was intensely irritating from the moment he was introduced.
• Whoever thought a laughter track was a good idea needs shooting. Especially when the laughs coincide with monumentally unfunny lines. All this served to do was highlight how poor the writing was.
• Clearly, the acting budget had been blown on Gatiss and Pryce, as absolutely no-one else was remotely convincing.
Watch: Vicky McClure and Morven Christie in trailer for 'The Replacement'
The BBC have released the trailer for upcoming drama The Replacement starring Vicky McClure and Morven Christie . This three-part psyc...
The Good Karma Hospital: Putting the Sun in Sunday Night
Before I sat down to write this review I was staring out of the office window. It's the start of the February and it's miserable. Th...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
TheCustardtv Podcast: Unforgotten, The Moorside, Legion and More!
Matt and Luke discuss Dan Stevens in Legion from FX. The mesmerising final installment of Unforgotten and Sheridan Smith in The Moorside...
This Week in TV: Food Glorious Food, Lightfields, Saturday Night Takeaway, Mary and Martha and Heading Out
Hello and welcome back quite a lot to get through this week so let's get cracking. Here's a new recipe for you - take eight lar...
The TVweek: Sunday 19th - Friday 24th February 2017
Sunday 7.00pm Take Me Out: Celebrity Special ITV - Paddy McGuinness plays cupid for three famous and single men in this celebrity edition o...
Emily Watson shines in Apple Tree Yard.
From the get-go, Emily Watson’s Yvonne Carmichael is not your average and straightforward scientist, if there is even such a thing. The ...
BBC ONE confirm cast for 'Trust Me'
The BBC have released new details of new drama Trust Me . Jodie Whittaker (B roadchurch, Adult Life Skills ) will star as Cath Hardacre...