Friday, 5 December 2008
A Smack the Pony for the late noughties, this is a new sketch-comedy series with an all-female main cast – Alice Lowe, Clare Thomson, Sarah Kendall and Barunka O’Shaughnessy. A mix of a little bit of originality and some shameless (but superbly done) copying of other comedy shows, this had a high enough laughs to gags ratio to make sure we’ll stick with it. Hopefully there’ll be more original ideas as it progresses.
What was good about it?
• The Sex in the City spoof. Shooting fish in a barrel it may be, but fantastically well observed take offs of the New York slappers had us laughing out loud. Especially as the penis-obsessed Samantha.
• The Russells Brand sketches – all four of the girls done up as a sort of gestalt entity of everyone’s favourite/most annoying(delete as applicable) Victorian ragamuffin – spouting overly verbose one-liners.
• The South African air hostesses – blatant rip-offs of the Fast Show’s “No offence” perfume girl – but far more cutting, and a lot funnier.
• Sarah and Alice, sat in the kitchen, discussing their favourite movie moments. Sarah then proceeds to re-enact the scene from Aliens when Bishop the android does a high-speed knife trick between his splayed fingers. Sure enough, Sarah ends up chopping off all her fingers. As she clutches her hand in agony, Alice remarks, “I don’t remember this bit…!”
• The final sketch, with the girls as members of an orchestra, enticing octagenarian audience members back to their dressing room for sex n’drugs, was a nice twist on the usual rock n’roll groupies scenario.
What was bad about it?
• The BeeTVee Youtube spoofs – tedious and unfunny.
Matt on the Box: This Week's TV Highlights: The Mill, New Tricks, Shoplife, The Dealership and Celebrity Masterchef
A little later than normal here's a look back at last's weeks highs and lows in the world of television. Last Sunday night I wa...
First Look at BBC2's 'Legacy'
The BBC have released the first look at BBC2's single drama Legacy. It's 1974, in the middle of the Cold War. The three day w...
The Sex Education Show, Channel 4
Did we like it? Presenter Anna Richardson did her best to back her claim that "when it comes to sex, Britain is in meltdown", but...
Between The Sheets, ITV1
Trailers can be terribly misleading. The ones for Between The Sheets made it seem like a raunchier version of Saturday’s slic...
Educating Yorkshire Christmas return Confirmed.
Channel 4 have confirmed a festive special of Educating Yorkshire for Thursday 19th of December. Educating Yorkshire leads Channel 4 Ch...
Citizen Khan: Can't we do better than this?
It’s hard to believe but there was once a time when BBC1 ruled the roost when it came to sitcoms but over the past decade most of the ...
TheCustard chats to Josh Bolt of 'Last Tango in Halifax'
Tuesday sees the welcome return of the BBC's hit drama Last Tango in Halifax. The BAFTA award winning series starring Anne Reid and ...
The BBC announces new drama commissions
BBC Controller of Drama Ben Stephenson today announces 31 hours of new drama commissions highlighting BBC One’s commitment to Original...