Friday, 5 December 2008
A Smack the Pony for the late noughties, this is a new sketch-comedy series with an all-female main cast – Alice Lowe, Clare Thomson, Sarah Kendall and Barunka O’Shaughnessy. A mix of a little bit of originality and some shameless (but superbly done) copying of other comedy shows, this had a high enough laughs to gags ratio to make sure we’ll stick with it. Hopefully there’ll be more original ideas as it progresses.
What was good about it?
• The Sex in the City spoof. Shooting fish in a barrel it may be, but fantastically well observed take offs of the New York slappers had us laughing out loud. Especially as the penis-obsessed Samantha.
• The Russells Brand sketches – all four of the girls done up as a sort of gestalt entity of everyone’s favourite/most annoying(delete as applicable) Victorian ragamuffin – spouting overly verbose one-liners.
• The South African air hostesses – blatant rip-offs of the Fast Show’s “No offence” perfume girl – but far more cutting, and a lot funnier.
• Sarah and Alice, sat in the kitchen, discussing their favourite movie moments. Sarah then proceeds to re-enact the scene from Aliens when Bishop the android does a high-speed knife trick between his splayed fingers. Sure enough, Sarah ends up chopping off all her fingers. As she clutches her hand in agony, Alice remarks, “I don’t remember this bit…!”
• The final sketch, with the girls as members of an orchestra, enticing octagenarian audience members back to their dressing room for sex n’drugs, was a nice twist on the usual rock n’roll groupies scenario.
What was bad about it?
• The BeeTVee Youtube spoofs – tedious and unfunny.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
SunTrap is utter..
Last night I was full of hatred. I was angry,consumed with vitriol and all because of something on the telly. Some shows should come with...
Educating Yorkshire: Everything you need to know
This brand new eight-part documentary series explores life at a Yorkshire school. Located at the heart of a diverse northern community, and ...
Did we like it? Our ITV, which art in trouble, ridiculed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come; thy off switch will be pressed, on t...
ITV launches new Drama trailer
Today (Monday 14th January 2013) ITV1 became ITV. I know nobody likes change do they? With the rebrand came a new trailer showcasing the for...
Michelle Keegan cast in new series of 'Our Girl'
BBC One have announced a brand new five-part series of Our Girl , which will star Michelle Keegan (Ordinary Lies) and will follow the Briti...
Black Work: Is 3 episodes enough?
Last night saw the start of ITV's tense new three-parter Black Work . The drama starred the always dependable Sheridan Smith as Jo, ...