Friday, 5 December 2008
A Smack the Pony for the late noughties, this is a new sketch-comedy series with an all-female main cast – Alice Lowe, Clare Thomson, Sarah Kendall and Barunka O’Shaughnessy. A mix of a little bit of originality and some shameless (but superbly done) copying of other comedy shows, this had a high enough laughs to gags ratio to make sure we’ll stick with it. Hopefully there’ll be more original ideas as it progresses.
What was good about it?
• The Sex in the City spoof. Shooting fish in a barrel it may be, but fantastically well observed take offs of the New York slappers had us laughing out loud. Especially as the penis-obsessed Samantha.
• The Russells Brand sketches – all four of the girls done up as a sort of gestalt entity of everyone’s favourite/most annoying(delete as applicable) Victorian ragamuffin – spouting overly verbose one-liners.
• The South African air hostesses – blatant rip-offs of the Fast Show’s “No offence” perfume girl – but far more cutting, and a lot funnier.
• Sarah and Alice, sat in the kitchen, discussing their favourite movie moments. Sarah then proceeds to re-enact the scene from Aliens when Bishop the android does a high-speed knife trick between his splayed fingers. Sure enough, Sarah ends up chopping off all her fingers. As she clutches her hand in agony, Alice remarks, “I don’t remember this bit…!”
• The final sketch, with the girls as members of an orchestra, enticing octagenarian audience members back to their dressing room for sex n’drugs, was a nice twist on the usual rock n’roll groupies scenario.
What was bad about it?
• The BeeTVee Youtube spoofs – tedious and unfunny.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Why is everyone talking about Making A Murderer?
If you’re on Twitter or Facebook, or even just online, the chances are you’ll have been subjected to an abundance of tweets, articles and o...
ThecustardTV Podcast: Is Critical too bonkers to enjoy?
In the latest podcast we discuss Sky's glossy new medical drama Critical, find out why Gary is enjoying The Casual Vacancy and Mat...
Does The X Files return give fans what they want?
When The X-Files originally aired in 1993, it opened to generally positive reviews and reception. Still, it would have been difficult t...
The TVweek: Sunday 30th January - 5th February 2016
Sunday 7.30pm The Jump Channel 4 - Return of the reality series which sees Over the new few weeks on , 12 celebrities - Dean Cain, Sarah H...
The TVweek: Sunday 7th - Friday 12th February 2016
Sunday 8.00pm Greece with Simon Reeve BBC2 - In the first episode of this two-part series, Simon Reeve travels from the islands of the Aege...
The TVweek: Saturday 16th - Friday 22nd January 2015
Saturday 6.50pm The Getaway Car BBC1 - Game show hosted by Dermot O'Leary. Set against the stunning backdrop of the South African count...