Friday, 5 December 2008
A Smack the Pony for the late noughties, this is a new sketch-comedy series with an all-female main cast – Alice Lowe, Clare Thomson, Sarah Kendall and Barunka O’Shaughnessy. A mix of a little bit of originality and some shameless (but superbly done) copying of other comedy shows, this had a high enough laughs to gags ratio to make sure we’ll stick with it. Hopefully there’ll be more original ideas as it progresses.
What was good about it?
• The Sex in the City spoof. Shooting fish in a barrel it may be, but fantastically well observed take offs of the New York slappers had us laughing out loud. Especially as the penis-obsessed Samantha.
• The Russells Brand sketches – all four of the girls done up as a sort of gestalt entity of everyone’s favourite/most annoying(delete as applicable) Victorian ragamuffin – spouting overly verbose one-liners.
• The South African air hostesses – blatant rip-offs of the Fast Show’s “No offence” perfume girl – but far more cutting, and a lot funnier.
• Sarah and Alice, sat in the kitchen, discussing their favourite movie moments. Sarah then proceeds to re-enact the scene from Aliens when Bishop the android does a high-speed knife trick between his splayed fingers. Sure enough, Sarah ends up chopping off all her fingers. As she clutches her hand in agony, Alice remarks, “I don’t remember this bit…!”
• The final sketch, with the girls as members of an orchestra, enticing octagenarian audience members back to their dressing room for sex n’drugs, was a nice twist on the usual rock n’roll groupies scenario.
What was bad about it?
• The BeeTVee Youtube spoofs – tedious and unfunny.
The Missing: The BBC drama makes a triumphant return.
If you're coming to this review having just watched The Missing I'll bet you've just made that noise that we all make when a...
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
The Fall Series Three: Jamie Dornan and Gillian Anderson go to hospital as the serial killer drama returns.
Over the past few years we've seen a few examples of TV dramas returning purely because their inaugural series performed so well in t...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
Win National Treasure on DVD!
If you loved National Treasure as much as us we've got a treat for you
The TVweek: Saturday 15th - Friday 21st October 2016
Saturday 7.00pm Meet the Parents ITV - Holly Willoughby puts the love lives of singletons in the hands of the people that know them best -...
The TVWeek: Saturday 8th-Friday 14th October
Saturday 8.00pm The X-Factor ITV - The live shows begin as the final twelve acts compete for public votes during 'Express Yourself...
The Great British Bake-Off: Final Review
And then there were three. Back in August I don't think I would've predicted that Andrew, Jane and Candice would've been the...