Friday, 5 December 2008
A Smack the Pony for the late noughties, this is a new sketch-comedy series with an all-female main cast – Alice Lowe, Clare Thomson, Sarah Kendall and Barunka O’Shaughnessy. A mix of a little bit of originality and some shameless (but superbly done) copying of other comedy shows, this had a high enough laughs to gags ratio to make sure we’ll stick with it. Hopefully there’ll be more original ideas as it progresses.
What was good about it?
• The Sex in the City spoof. Shooting fish in a barrel it may be, but fantastically well observed take offs of the New York slappers had us laughing out loud. Especially as the penis-obsessed Samantha.
• The Russells Brand sketches – all four of the girls done up as a sort of gestalt entity of everyone’s favourite/most annoying(delete as applicable) Victorian ragamuffin – spouting overly verbose one-liners.
• The South African air hostesses – blatant rip-offs of the Fast Show’s “No offence” perfume girl – but far more cutting, and a lot funnier.
• Sarah and Alice, sat in the kitchen, discussing their favourite movie moments. Sarah then proceeds to re-enact the scene from Aliens when Bishop the android does a high-speed knife trick between his splayed fingers. Sure enough, Sarah ends up chopping off all her fingers. As she clutches her hand in agony, Alice remarks, “I don’t remember this bit…!”
• The final sketch, with the girls as members of an orchestra, enticing octagenarian audience members back to their dressing room for sex n’drugs, was a nice twist on the usual rock n’roll groupies scenario.
What was bad about it?
• The BeeTVee Youtube spoofs – tedious and unfunny.
In the Flesh: Why we should be shouting about this more
Amid the tremendous bevy of high quality programmes delivered over the past few months – Prey , Happy Valley , From There to Here ...
What to Expect from The Lady Vanishes
Sunday night has long been the home of period drama on BBC One with recent examples being Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife. Thi...
New Blood: A Different kind of BBC drama
Contributed by Kay Dekker BBC One have had a string of top quality drama of late, with the likes of The Night Manager and Happy Vall...
The TVweek: Saturday 14th - Friday 20th May 2016
Saturday 8.00pm The Eurovision Song Contest BBC1 - Graham Norton introduces and commentates on the 61st Eurovision Song Contest, broadcast...
TheCustard chats to Line of Duty mastermind Jed Mercurio
Monday sees the release of Series 3 of Line of Duty on DVD. It's a drama that has literally gripped fans from beginning to end. Ahead o...
The TVweek: Saturday 28th May - Friday 3rd June 2016
Saturday 9.00pm The Disappearance BBC4 - Double bill of a new French Thriller. Lea Morel celebrates her 17th birthday by attending the loc...
Matt on the Box: The Eurovision Song Contest, Love Nina, Going Forward, Louis Theroux: A Different Brain and Undercover
Welcome to another week of TV highlights and an instalment which offers up one of the most mixed bags that we've ever had. We kick ...
Broadchurch 3 begins filming
Filming commenced today on the award winning drama Broadchurch . The third and final series will continue shooting in Dorset and Somerset t...