Do we like it?
The second series of Channel 4’s best reality show has had a quiet first week but it’s still a great show.
What is good about about it?
• The first couple to be kicked off were the annoying Mr Loud Shirt/Loud Mouth Paul and his beaky wife. Great to see them go. Loved Paul’s pathetic petulance when he stormed off after getting the red card. Only one other couple got the boot in week one – fun-loving crones Connie and Betty – while one old couple got too knackered after one day’s sightseeing so they popped off home rather than dying on TV.
• Camp tour guide Brendan is back, dividing his time between being a stroppy schoolmaster, a breezy cliché-mangler (“no use on an ornament”) and a Butlin’s Redcoat
• There’s one very sexy tripper – Lorenzo the hairdresser – who’s come along with fellow hairdresser Alan (No, they’re not gay). Alan tries to hard to be sexy; Lorenzo doesn’t have to do anything to get us excited. Fellow youngsters Claire and Kat are quite nice, too.
What is bad about about it?
• The new couples who arrived on Friday don’t seem like fun.
• Not enough footage of the places visited in Spain and Portugal.
• Too much recapping by the narrator.