Did we like it?
Not much. We’ve enjoyed the refreshing Al Murray in this slot for the past two months, but Dame Edna doing her same old, outdated thing was a disappointment. Just shows that revivals don’t always work. We have moved on.
What was good about it?
• A sarcastic Dame Edna cutting the appalling Non-Doctor Gillian McKeith down to size when the food “expert” overacted horribly. “What an amusing woman you are.”
What was bad about it?
• Sir Les Patterson “learning” about Eastern customs from Shilpa Shetty wasn’t at all funny.
• The jokes at the expense of frumpy “daughter Valmai”
• No Madge Allsop, owing to the fact that she is too old to appear.
• The guest list: Mischa Barton, Sigourney Weaver and Michael Bolton ( “He has had nine hits this year… on his website”). They weren’t interesting or funny and seemed to be insulted by Dame Edna’s humour.
• Mr Bean and Nancy thingy (Sven’s bird) in a colonic irrigation sketch.