On the second day of Edinburgh TV Fest Charlotte Moore and her commissioning team discussed the year and the time to come for the BBC.
- When asked about the Bake Off Moore said she only has so much money to play with but wishes Channel 4’s version of the show well.
- Comedy commissioner Shane Allen is keen to crack “pre-watershed” sitcoms that the whole family can enjoy.
- Allen revealed it was Peter Kay’s idea to launch Car Share on iPlayer first to allow it grow and stop it from being criticised too quickly.
- Documentaries on Stephen Lawrence and Grenfell Tower announced as well as four brand new dramas.
- Jodie Whittaker auditioned several times before landing role in Doctor Who and she had a good idea of what she’d do with the role.
- The BBC had no problem in casting a woman as Doctor Who
- The BBC’s entertainment commissioner would/could buy more US entertainment formats like The Voice back in 2012.
- Head of factual revealed that any episode of last year’s Planet Earth series was seen by more in the 16-34 market than any episode of last year’s series of The X Factor.