What to say if you liked it
An insightful expose of the British Army’s most famous but mysterious regiment
What to say if you didn’t like it
Tall stories pandering to the simple violent fantasies of overweight men from Stockport whose sole literary experience since junior school has been Bravo Two Zero
What was good about it?
• We learned the nascent SAS stole their first training camp
• The SAS undertook their first mission (a parachute jump behind enemy lines in a sandstorm) simply to prove it was an essential regiment. Unfortunately. two thirds were either killed or captured
• Ex-SAS trooper Ken Hames is an enthusiastic and expert presenter
What was bad about it?
• The special effects would shame Jon Pertwee-era Dr Who
• Much of the archive footage seemed to be random World War Two film of soldiers running around in the desert rather than relate to the SAS
• The interviews with the World War Two veterans looked 30 years old
• Ken Hames’s 80s bomber jacket that looked torn from the battered corpse of Grange Hill baddie Gripper Stebson