What to say if you liked it
Go gettam, Gordon. Ranting Ramsay removes the smug smiles off the faces of stunned American wannabes who want to win themselves a restaurant.
What to say if you disliked it
What sort of society is this that makes stars out of people just because they’re foul-mouthed, belligerent and can knock up a fancy meal?
What was good about it?
• Elsie, our favourite candidate, whose signature dish – turkey taco – was one of the few to get a favourable review (“I was thrilled he didn’t spit it out.”). She was good at laying on the drama (“When I saw him toss the dish in the garbage, I was terrified”) but she almost blew her chances by making a risotto that glued itself to the plate. When Ramsay named her the least worst of the bunch, enabling her to nominate two colleagues for the chop. Then, after reassuring doughy Dewberry that he’d be safe, she stabbed him in the back by putting him up for Ramsay to reject. That might backfire, though, because he stayed and fellow nominee, the plasticky Carolann, went.
• Ramsay’s humiliation of “executive chef” Chris – although it took Chris a while to realise that being called a plank is an insult. He was in no such doubt when one of his dishes was branded “an overcooked piece of shit” and had it thrust into his chest.
• The lovely Jean-Phillipe from the British version has crossed the Atlantic to work as Ramsay’s maitre d’ again.
• Ramsay telling Jean-Phillipe: “Could you escort these two ladies back to plastic surgery?” when a couple of bimbos had the temerity to demand some food.
• Clumsy oaf Jimmy who was made to make the same dish four times, but then dropped the red-hot plate of lamb as he removed it from the oven.
• Knowing that the gung-ho Andrew (“Bring it on, Ramsay”) will face humiliation before long.
What was bad about it?
• Ramsay’s rather lame catchphrase: “Screw up or screw me and you’re history”.
• Novice Jeff immediately slipping into the awful waiter speak: “Are we ready to order this evening?”
• We shouldn’t really be watching this sort of low entertainment when there are documenteries to watch about dolphins, Islam and 9/11 on the other side