Did we like it?
Not as much as the first film, but it it’s almost as gay (in both senses of the word), colourful, corny, uplifting and sweet as candy.
What was good about it?
• The best song was the opening number, What Time Is It? (hooray, it is summer time rather than Hammer Time or Chico Time). The baseball game swing number and percussive, positive Work It Out also stood out.
• The rags versus riches plot (if it can be so called) about the East High kids working at Lava Springs Country Club during their summer holiday (they call it vacation) wasn’t as gripping as the first movie’s scenario, but it did facilitate lots of sunshiney fun.
• The scene-stealing awfulness of Sharpay Evans as Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel as Ryan Evans, the baddies we love to hate.
• Vanessa Hudgens is still stunning as Gabriella Montez (beauty and brains), full of summer lovin’ for Zac Efron’s Troy Bolton (freaky and squeaky).
• The hilariously bad choreography for Troy’s rocky, dressed-in-black solo Bet On It.
• It helps us overcome the sense of emptiness that has filled our hearts since S Club 7 split.
What was bad about it?
• In the original, it wasn’t Zac Efron’s singing voice, but this time round, he performs Troy’s numbers. And he’s not that good.
• Lots of lip-synching lapses.
• None of the songs quite reached the blissful levels of movie one’s Stick To The Status Quo.