Did we like it?
The fact that Alan ‘You’re So Vain’ Yentob grasped the opportunity to show off a bit was off-putting, but there were interesting glimpses into the world of sitcom-making
What was good about it?
• Peep Show pairing David Mitchell and Robert Webb being funny as they talked about their show – and the look at the behind-the-scenes complications of making it
• It was a much more thoughtful programme than the similar Channel 4 enterprise fronted by the ghostly David Liddiment
• Armando Iannucci on his genius satire The Thick Of It
• Tamsin Grieg revealing how she thinks of old aunts to stop her giggling at Stephen Mangan’s improvisations on The Green Wing
What was bad about it?
• Ricky Gervais and, to a lesser extent, Stephen Merchant are obviously better at writing comedy than talking about it
• People being forced to say nice things about My Family and Yentob hailing it as one of today’s great comedies
• Paul Whitehouse was a little self-aggrandising as he spoke about BBC2’s brilliant Help