Did we like it?
This show, named after the erection men get in the mornings, gushed forth with bright little features and Dermot O’Leary’s spunky style
What was good about it?
• Dermot is a charming, energetic, post-modern host, undercutting the mystique of TV
• The titles and the theme – Les Fleurs by 4 Hero
• Alan Carr’s paper review, picking out articles on Charles Kennedy (accusing the press of using pictures of the Lib Dem leader looking odd), serving suggestions (“On soup cans, it tells you ‘Use a bowl’. I always grab the colander”), Prince William’s hair and the blunders spotted in the King Kong movie (“If you want reality, watch Taggart”)
• The zappy feature on Cilla Black and Soapstar Superstar
• The concise reviews by Boyd ‘Heat’ Hilton of Brokeback Mountain, My Name IsEarl and Invasion
What was bad about it?
• The items on pet diets and UFo sightings were a bit too GMTV (which, incidentally, linked this week from Ariel Sharon’s health to Christmas decorations with “fron the sublime to the ridiculous”)