What to say if you like it
A little bit of harmless fun about fashion.
What to say if you dislike it
The most ludicrous primetime commission for years. Even ITV1 isn’t nuts enough to air tosh like this.
What was good about it?
• It may have thrilled feeble-minded followers of fashion – but we even have our doubts about that.
What was bad about it?
• Angela Buttolph – a so-called fashion guru – is no Trinny nor Sussanah. Here’s her tenuous mission statement: “I believe that changing the way you dress can change the way you feel about yourself, and let others see a totally new you – but it can also make you feel different inside and change how you feel about yourself”.
• Unglamorous Surrey housewife Diane Metcalfe foolishly allowed Angela to convince her that her life was stuck in a rut and that, to drag herself out of it, she must slow any shred of pride she may have retained and dress up in the sort of clobber than even Big Brother’s Kemal would find a little on the embarrassing side.
• Diane in an garish orange trouser suit, red beret and Mary Quant wig described by Angela, who was surely laughing behind her hand, as “Very Rive Gauche on the Left Bank of the Seine”. Ridiculous.
• Diane in an outfit that suggested punk-meets-Play School presenter. Ridiculous.
• Diane being made to wear whore – on a family trip to a theme park – an outfit that would only suit a fortysomething Yorkshire . Ridiculous.
• Diane in the sort of mismatched clothing Madonna wore for a few months in 1984. Ridiculous.
• Diane in a bunny girl costume. Ridiculous.
• The whole pointless, tedious enterprise. Ridiculous.