Did we like it?
We never liked Morse (Stop tutting! Get over it! Not everyone likes bland detective dramas) and this was even less appealing.
What was good about it?
• The plot about murder in a sleep laboratory had its gripping moments, but we’d have preferred it to have been investigated by anyone other than plodding old Lewis. Even Rosemary and Thyme would have been more entertaining.
• Lewis getting the “pint” and his sergeant being stuck with orange juice was quite a sweet twist at the end.
What was bad about it?
• We’ve only ever really liked Kevin Whately as Neville in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and he doesn’t really have the personality to drive his own vehicle
• Laurence Fox as cold fish sidekick DS Hathaway
• The annoying attempt to solve a crossword clue (“Polo not king after all”) left unfinished by Morse – one of many ghosts of his former boss hovering around the Oxford spires
• Rebecca Front would be better off doing more of her superb repressed comedy roles than being wasted as Lewis’s boss Chief Superintendent Innocent.
• It was so bland that the audience was huge and a series has been commissioned.